This green plantain tortilla wrap recipe is so easy to make. Make my 3 ingredient grain-free tortillas tonight for an easy, but healthy taco dinner idea. Green plantain tortillas taste delicious, but are actually good for you too. This will become one of your favorite green plantain recipes, especially for a taco Tuesday dinner. These are also anti-inflammatory, so if you are following an AIP, autoimmune protocol diet, try these AIP plantain tortillas tonight.
Are Plantains Healthy?
Yes, plantains are a fantastic option if you haven't already added green plantains into your recipes. They contain many wonderful vitamins and minerals the body needs to function daily. The fiber and potassium content are important reasons why you should try making a plantain dinner recipe.
Plantain Nutrition Facts
Plantains are rich in fiber and a great source of potassium too. They also contain antioxidants that help fight free radicals. Green plantains also contain vitamin C, which is great for supporting good immune function.
They are a great substitute for potatoes if you want to bump up your nutritional content, because they are rich in additional vitamins. Green plantains actually contain more potassium, magnesium, and vitamin C than typical potatoes. They contain fiber, which helps digestion and weight management.
They make the perfect gluten-free replacement. Try mashing up cooked plantains into pancakes or bulking up soups and stews.
How To Make a Grain-Free Green Plantain Tortillas Wrap Recipe
Makes 6 medium sized plantain tortillas or 12 mini grain-free tortillas.
Green Plantain Tortilla Wrap Ingredients:
- 3 plantains
- 1 to 2 tablespoons cassava flour
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric powder
- To make the green plantain tortilla, first slice the plantains into one inch pieces. Toss into a pot of boiling salted water. Boil for 15 minutes.
- Remove the skin from the boiled plantains. Toss into a blender with turmeric and black pepper. . Blend until the mixture combines. Add in a tablespoon or two of flour of choice. I used cassava flour to keep these plantain tortillas grain-free.
- *Note: *(You can also simply mash them with a fork and combine the cassava flour)
- Next, divide the dough into 6 equal balls. Then roll out the mixture. If you prefer smaller tortillas, divide the dough even more into the desired size of your tortilla.
- In a frying pan, add a drop of oil and heat up. Brown the tortillas for 1 to 2 minutes on each side.
Green Plantain Taco Recipe
Taco Meat Filling Ingredients:
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ tablespoon of dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pickled red onions
- Fresh cilantro
- Lime juice
- Shredded lettuce or even kale
- Pico de Gallo or salsa
- Cheese of choice, feta cheese works well.
- Prepare the ground taco meat mixture. In a shallow frying pan over medium-high heat, add a tablespoon of olive oil and brown the meat. Takes about 7 minutes.
- Drain any remaining fat off the top. Add in your seasonings of choice, or use my taco spice seasoning mixture recipe below. Mix in 2 tablespoons of water or broth. Set the meat mixture aside.
- Now for the fun part, assembling the plantain tacos. Fill the grain-free plantain tortillas with the meat mixture. Top with your choice of veggies, like lettuce, tomatoes, pickled red onions and cheese. I prefer vegan feta, but feel free to add Cojita cheese on top too. Don't forget to add a squeeze of lime juice over top.
How Do You Store Grain-Free Plantain Tortilla Wraps?
These AIP plantain tortilla wraps are easy to store. It's best to keep these Paleo tortillas stored in an airtight container inside the refrigerator for about 6 to 7 days.
Simply warm them up when you are ready to use them. I do this by wrapping them in a damp paper towel for 20 seconds in the microwave. This will still allow them to be pliable. You can also gently warm them in a pan over low heat to raise the temperature back up without browning them even more.
Can You Freeze This Plantain Tortilla Recipe?
Yes, simply place them between pieces of parchment or wax paper and store in a reusable freezer bag or freezer safe container. Thaw before serving.
Can I Bake These Green Plantain Tortillas?
Yes, you can certainly spread the mixture onto a parchment lined baking sheet and bake in a 350 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes. However, I find it best to use a drop of oil in a frying pan and pan fry, because the texture comes out nice and crispy. It takes a bit longer to set up in the oven too.
Enjoy This Easy Grain-Free AIP Plantain Tortillas Recipe!
If you make this recipe for my simple AIP green plantain tortillas, let me know in the comment section below.
I would also love to hear what you think, or take a photo and tag me @Eat_Your_Nutrition on Instagram. I love seeing your photos. #EatYourNutrition #LauraVillanueva