This onion skin tea is loaded with amazing immune boosting benefits and skin nourishing ingredients. I know onion apple tea might sound strange, but trust me, your skin and immune system will love it.
During the colder months, it's best to focus on immunity building, and this healthy drink recipe is perfect. My bone broth recipe inspired it, except this is spiced sweet taste popular with fall recipes. Also in the colder months, this onion tea is perfect for ridding you a nagging cough.
There are many skin and immune health benefits by adding this to your routine. I like to add the matcha green tea powder earlier in the day. However, if drinking it in the evening, omit the matcha or you might have trouble sleeping due to the caffeine.
Onion Tea Ingredients:
- Filtered Water: Of course, you need water to make a tea. I prefer filtered water, but you can use whatever water you prefer. I also think coconut water would be perfect for more flavor and electrolytes.
- Red Onion: Use organic red onion for the beautiful red color. However, you can still get health benefits by using a white or yellow onion. The color of the tea will not be red.
- Apple: I like organic Red Delicious or Honey Crisp for this recipe. If you want a green color tea, swap out the red onion for white and swap the red apple for green apple.
- Orange: One organic orange will bring a bright, vibrant citrus flavor that is perfect for this tea recipe.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: This is added for skin health benefits, but also helps to pull more nutrients out of the fruit and onion.
- Fresh Ginger: I always use fresh ginger, because it adds a nice spicy flavor. Plus, the added antioxidant benefits.
- Fresh Turmeric: Turmeric is wonderful for decreasing inflammation.
- Black Pepper: You only need a pinch, which increases the bioavailabilty of curcumin from the turmeric. This is due to a compound called pierine.
- Ground Cinnamon: Another warming spice that tastes delicious.
- Ground Cloves: Perfect undertone of an additional warming spice.
- Maple Syrup: I use maple syrup for most of my recipes, because I avoid refined sugars. Some other healthy sweetener choices I recommend are honey or date syrup.
- Pique Sun Goddess Green Tea Matcha Powder: This is the only matcha powder I love and use every day. I highly recommend them for the quality.
See recipe card for quantities.
Onion Skin Tea Variations
Here are a few ideas to change things if you don't like an ingredient or don't have one on hand. This onion tea recipe can be customized to your liking.
- Pear - Instead of apple, you can use a pear.
- Yellow Onion - Instead of a red onion, use a yellow onion.
- Grapefruit: Instead of using an orange, try a grapefruit.
- Honey: Swap out the maple syrup for honey.
Let's Learn How to Make Red Onion Tea
It's quite easy to make a red onion tea, which has so many skin and immunity health benefits.
Skin & Immunity Apple Turmeric Onion Tea
- 8 cups Filtered Water
- 1 Red Onion (Organic, skins left on, chopped)
- 1 Apple (Organic, skins left on, chopped)
- 1 Orange (Organic, peel left on, chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 inch piece Fresh Ginger (peeled and sliced OR (¼ teaspoon ground ginger)
- 1 inch piece Fresh Turmeric (peeled and sliced OR (¼ teaspoon ground turmeric)
- 1 pinch Ground Black Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 1 tablespoon Maple Syrup
- In a large pot, add water, onion, apple, orange, ginger, turmeric, apple cider vinegar, black pepper, cloves, and cinnamon.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Strain out the fruit and onions.
- Add in the green tea powder and maple syrup. The matcha is optional, but I love it. Serve this tea hot.
- Transfer the leftovers to a container. Reheat before serving again.
Crock Pot or Slow Cooker Instructions:
- Add all the ingredients, except the green tea powder and maple syrup, to a crock pot or slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6- 8 hours or high for 2-4 hours.
- Mix in the green tea powder and maple syrup.
- Transfer to a storage container or serve right away.
Once the tea is brewed and strained, transfer to a glass jar and store in the fridge for a week. You can also pour the cooled mixture into an ice cube tray and freeze. Simply take out one or two ice cubes and reheat before serving. Enjoy.
I highly recommend trying the apple onion tea with some green tea powder. It takes it to another level. Plus, you receive more skin loving health benefits from the matcha.
Looking for other healing drink recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with apple onion tea:
Also, this post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a small commission if you buy through those links (I’ll earn some green tea money ☕ which I promise to drink while creating content that you will enjoy). I only recommend products that I trust and absolutely love!