Valentine's Day is the perfect time to make these strawberry gluten-free sugar cookies that are chocolate-filled too. The burst of sugar crystals on top of these coated sugar cookies gives you just the right amount of sweetness without being overly sweet. Plus, the chocolate-filled center is such a unique surprise to a strawberry sugar cookie recipe.
These pretty cookies make the perfect Valentine's Day treat. So, share a sweet treat with your loved ones today. They are not only a gorgeous pink color, but also taste amazing.
- 💖 Why You'll Love These Gluten-Free Sugar Cookies?
- 🥣 Ingredients for Strawberry Sugar Cookies
- 👩🍳 Instructions
- 🧡 Learn to Make Strawberry Chocolate Filled Sugar Cookies
- 📖 Recipe
- 💙 Substitutions for Strawberry Sugar Cookie Recipe
- 🍴 Sugar Cookie Recipe Variations
- ❄️ Storage for Strawberry Cookies
- ⭐️ Top Tip
- 😀 Try These Gluten-Free Sugar Cookies for Valentine's Day!
- ❤️ You Might Also Love These
- 🍪 More Cookie Recipes
- 💬 Comments
💖 Why You'll Love These Gluten-Free Sugar Cookies?
- Healthier Cookie Version - Made with healthier, nutrient dense ingredients, these are a great healthy swap to a traditional sugar cookie.
- Gluten-Free - Perfect for those following a gluten-free diet, like celiac disease patients.
- Iron Rich - If you are low on iron, this cookie would be perfect to bump up your iron needs for the day.
🥣 Ingredients for Strawberry Sugar Cookies
Making sugar cookies is fairly simple. The key is to get the dough chilled before baking. There is so much texture because of the sugary topping, which gives this a classic sugar cookie flavor.
- Freeze-Dried Strawberries - You can use this slightly chunky or make it into my "pretty pink dust", which is simply blending freeze-dried strawberries into a fine powder. I love to use my "pretty pink dust" sprinkled over pancakes and even oatmeal too.
- Egg - One egg is perfect to bind these together perfectly.
- Hu Kitchen Dark Chocolate Gems - This is my favorite brand for chocolate chunks, and these delicious little snacking gems are the perfect gooey center.
- Gluten-Free Flour - I have celiac disease, so I prefer gluten-free flour. However, if you prefer all-purpose flour, the recipe might vary slightly.
- Butter - Use whatever butter you prefer. I like to use vegan butter in this recipe.
- White Chocolate Chips - Any mini white chocolate chip will work. If you are dairy-free, swap for a dairy-free chocolate chip instead.
- Vanilla Extract - A dash is perfect to bring out the flavor of these classic cookies.
- Fine Sea Salt - To balance out the sweetness, you need a touch of salt.
- Maple Syrup - I find maple syrup adds just the right amount of sweetness, without this recipe becoming too sweet.
- Raw Sugar Crystals - I prefer coconut sugar, but you can swap it out for whatever sugar or sugar substitute you prefer.
- Baking Powder - I prefer using both baking powder and baking soda in this recipe.
- Baking Soda - A pinch of baking soda is all you need.
See the recipe card below for quantities.
Making sugar cookies with deliciously crisp edges and delicious chocolate centers is easier than you think. You can even use your favorite cookie cutters to make cute heart shapes. Follow the instructions below. A full recipe card follows.
Stir together the strawberries and butter.
Combine the butter and freeze-dried strawberries.
Add in the rest of the dry ingredients.
Mix in the remaining wet ingredients.
Chill dough. Form into balls and place a chocolate chunk in the middle. Roll in sugar crystals. Bake for 15 minutes in a 350-degree oven.
Melt white chocolate and drizzle over top. Top with extra freeze-dried strawberries. Enjoy.
Hint: If you want to increase the protein content in the recipe, add a scoop of your favorite collagen powder and decrease the flour content by ¼ cup. Try my Radiant Beauty Multi-Collagen Powder.
🧡 Learn to Make Strawberry Chocolate Filled Sugar Cookies
Learn how easy it is to make healthy sugar cookies with a chocolate filling inside.
Strawberry Sugar Cookies with Chocolate Filling
- ½ cup strawberries, freeze-dried
- 1 eggs
- ½ cup butter (I used vegan butter)
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour, gluten-free
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt, fine
- ¼ cup chocolate pieces, dark (I used Hu Kitchen Dark Chocolate Gems)
- ¼ cup chocolate chips, white (I love the brand, Lily's Sweets)
- ¼ cup sugar, raw (for rolling or sprinkled on top)
- Add the strawberries and butter to a food processor or blender. Blend until well combined. I have also made these simply by hand mixing and crushing the freeze-dried strawberries. Either method will work.
- Next, add in the gluten-free flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and egg. This is when you should add in your pitaya powder or food coloring extracts. If not using, simply omit.
- If your dough is a bit too sticky, add a bit more flour to ensure the cookie dough is tacky, but not too sticky to the touch. Cover your dough and place in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Next, you want to scoop out cookie sized balls of dough. You can either make 6 large sugar cookies or 9 medium sized cookies. Place a piece of dark chocolate inside each cookie.
- Here's where you can either roll your balls in sugar or sprinkle the sugar over top after rolling. I prefer to sprinkle over the tops of the cookies.
- Arrange them on the prepared baking sheet, leaving 2 inches between each cookie. I love to sprinkle colored sugar over top before baking.
- Bake cookies for 15 minutes. Keep an eye on them, if they start to brown on the edge, pull them out of the oven. Let cool on a wire rack, while you prepare the melted chocolate topping.
- Melt your white chocolate chips in the microwave or in a water bath on the stove. Stir completely.
- Drizzle the melted white chocolate right over the top of each cookie. Enjoy.
LEAVE A RATING AND COMMENT
Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you like this recipe.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. Modify as needed and enjoy.
©EatYourNutrition. Content & photos are copyright protected. I love when you share this recipe with others. Please make sure you give credit to this site. Copying, pasting, & posting entire recipes onto social media is prohibited.Share on Facebook
💙 Substitutions for Strawberry Sugar Cookie Recipe
Here are a few easy ingredient substitutions.
- Vegan - Instead of an egg, replace with 1 tablespoon ground flax seed mixed with 3 tablespoons water).
- Dairy-Free - Swap out the white chocolate chips for white dairy-free chocolate chips (Enjoy Life is a great dairy-free option for chocolate).
🍴 Sugar Cookie Recipe Variations
I love to play around with different versions of my favorite recipes. Here's a favorite variation of this healthy sugar cookie recipe.
- Chocolate Drizzle - Swap out the white chocolate topping for regular or dark melted chocolate. This brings an extra chocolate flavor to these chocolate-filled cookies.
❄️ Storage for Strawberry Cookies
Store them in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 days. After 3 days, they will begin to harden.
You can also store these chocolate chunk-filled cookies in the freezer for up to one month.
⭐️ Top Tip
The key is to get the dough chilled before baking. This ensures the dough rolls out evenly. Perfect if you also use cookie dough cutters.
😀 Try These Gluten-Free Sugar Cookies for Valentine's Day!
So, if you make these healthy strawberry sugar cookies, let me know in the comment section below.
I also love to hear what you think, or take a photo and tag me @Eat_Your_Nutrition on Instagram. I love seeing your photos. #EatYourNutrition #LauraVillanueva
❤️ You Might Also Love These
Looking for other Valentine's Day recipes, like this strawberry sugar cookie recipe? Try these:
🍪 More Cookie Recipes
These are my other favorite cookie recipes that you might enjoy.
In addition, this post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a small commission if you buy through those links (I’ll earn some coffee money ☕ which I promise to drink while creating content that you will enjoy). I only recommend products that I trust and absolutely love!