Crockpots are a wonderful kitchen gadget, because it saves you so much time on busy days. Crockpot casserole recipes are some of the easiest recipes to make. Creating a healthy meal at home is all about prep time, and you can focus on other tasks that need to be done instead of being stuck in the kitchen cooking. This Tex-Mex Frito pie crockpot casserole is one your family will surely love. Try serving this with a fresh crisp salad, and you have a wonderful weeknight meal for your family. Consider this Tex-Mex vegetarian casserole on a busy weeknight.
This Tex-Mex crockpot casserole is vegetarian, but tastes so darn delicious. You can also add in shredded chicken if you want to add more protein, but the beans are a wonderful vegetarian protein source with many vitamins and minerals. Mexican food for me is something I could eat all year long and never get tired of. This meal will keep you satisfied for hours.
If you love this delicious casserole, you might also like to try my beef and sweet potato chili recipe, which is another family-friendly easy meal to make.
Learn to Make an Easy Vegetarian Tex-Mex Crockpot Casserole Recipe!
Tex-Mex CrockPot Casserole
- 1 16- ounce can refried black beans
- 1 15- ounce can pinto beans drained and rinsed
- 4 zucchinis sliced into half-moons
- 1 10- ounce can diced tomatoes and green chilies Rotel is my preference.
- 2 cups fire-roasted corn canned or frozen
- 12 Siete grain-free taco shells one package has 12 shells, broken into pieces
- 1 16- ounce jar salsa
- 4 cups Mexican style shredded cheese
- ½ cup onions finely chopped
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro rough chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- avocado slices
- fresh tomato slices
- pickled jalapenos
- plain yogurt of choice I prefer plain almond milk yogurt
- 1. Combine the beans, zucchini, corn, onions, cumin, chili powder, and cilantro in a medium sized bowl. Separately in another bowl, combine the can of diced tomatoes with green chilies with salsa.
- 2. In your slow cooker, evenly spread ½ cup of the tomato and salsa mixture onto the bottom. Top with ⅓ of the broken taco shells. Then spread half of the bean mixture over the taco shells, sprinkle with 1 ½ cup of cheese. Top that with 1 cup of the salsa mixture. Repeat the layers until all the mixtures are in the slow cooker.
- 3. Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook on a low setting for 4 hours. Serve with any of the optional garnishes.
Enjoy This Easy Vegetarian Crockpot Casserole Recipe!
If you make any of my crockpot casserole recipes, let me know in the comment section below. I would also love to hear what you think of this vegetarian Frito pie casserole made in a crockpot, or take a photo and tag me @Eat_Your_Nutrition on Instagram. I love seeing your photos. #EatYourNutrition #LauraVillanueva
Meal Prep Guide for Creating Healthy Balanced Meals
Learn how to meal prep healthy meals to save time and become more efficient in the kitchen. Delicious recipes for healthy eating.