I wanted to create a wholesome and healthy breakfast cookie, because I like meal prepping so that during busy mornings you can simply grab and go. These convenient, nutrient-dense breakfast cookies are yummy. My blueberry breakfast cookie's base is oatmeal and gluten-free flour, so if your diet is gluten-free, then this oatmeal breakfast cookie is one to have on repeat. If you aren't gluten-free, this healthy breakfast cookie is still the cookie for you, with how astonishing they taste.
Ingredients for Breakfast Cookies
Health Benefits of Blueberries
Research studies have shown that incorporating blueberries into your diet, can help decrease insulin resistance. This may result in helping lower fat storage in your body.
Blueberries are rated 53 on the glycemic index (GI), which indicates how quickly the food is to raise blood sugar levels. This score, considered low on the glycemic index end, also a safe fruit option to regulate blood sugar levels. In addition, they are also low in caloric intake and fat.
KEY NUTRIENTS OF BLUEBERRIES
Vitamins K1 | Vitamin C | Manganese | Polyphenols (Anthocyanins & Proanthocyanins) | Antioxidants | Quercetin | Myricetin |Resveratrol | Lutein | Gallic Acid | Zeaxanthin
Zucchini Health Benefits
Zucchini is rich in vitamins B6 and C, potassium, folate, magnesium, carotenoids, and omega-3 and omega-9. This vegetable is low calorie, coming in at only 29 calories for a smaller-sized zucchini.
This is a wonderful alternative to pasta. You can create "zoodles", which are spiralized zucchini in place of traditional pasta. Zucchini also contains fiber, while the pectin will have a detoxifying effect and keep you full. I love to use zucchini in place of bananas in smoothie recipes, because you will still get the same creamy texture the banana provided, but without all the added sugars.
This vegetable is refreshing because it has high water content. Foods rich in water content are tremendous for the skin, especially if you suffer from dry skin. In the winter more people suffer from dry skin, so by adding extra zucchini into your diet in the cooler months, you can moisturize the skin from within to eliminate any dry flaky skin.
The magnesium and potassium in zucchini help calm the nervous system. When you relax the nervous system, you help lower your blood pressure. You can also read more about the health and beauty benefits of zucchini, as well as the full nutritional report on zucchini.
ZUCCHINI KEY NUTRIENTS
Vitamin B6 | Vitamin C | Magnesium | Folate | Potassium | Carotenoids | Omega-3 Fatty Ccids | Oleic Acid
Learn to Make a Healthy Breakfast Cookie Recipe!
Healthy Blueberry Zucchini Breakfast Cookies
- 1 ½ cups Rolled Oats
- 1 cup Gluten-Free Flour
- ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Orange Juice
- ½ cup Coconut Sugar
- ½ cup Zucchini (shredded)
- ¼ cup Coconut Oil (melted)
- 1 tablespoon Ground Flax Seed
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 teaspoon Orange Zest
- 1 teaspoon Molasses or Maple Syrup (unsulfured)
- ½ cup Blueberries
- ½ cup Pecans (chopped)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF, and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix the oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the orange juice, coconut sugar, zucchini, coconut oil, flaxseed, vanilla, orange zest, and maple syrup or molasses until combined.
- Create a well in the dry ingredients, then pour the wet ingredients into it. Fold the dough together until well combined. Add the blueberries and pecans to the dough, and fold together until incorporated evenly. Be careful not to burst the blueberries.
- Place ¼-cup-sized scoops, 2 inches apart, on the baking sheets. Press down gently to flatten the cookies slightly. Bake for 20 to 24 minutes, switching the baking sheet positions halfway through.
- When the cookies are done baking, they will be soft. Leave on the baking sheets to cool for 15 to 20 minutes before serving them.
If your looking for some more inspiration, try some of my other recipes that contain zucchini:
If you want to try out another easy breakfast recipe consider:
ENJOY THESE DELICIOUS BREAKFAST COOKIES
If you make this blueberry breakfast cookie recipe, let me know in the comment section below. I would also love to hear what you think, or take a photo and tag me @Eat_Your_Nutrition on Instagram. I love seeing your photos. #EatYourNutrition #LauraVillanueva
This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links (I’ll earn some coffee money ☕ which I promise to drink while creating content that you will enjoy). I only recommend products that I trust and absolutely love!