This recipe of broccoli rabe with garlic is one of my favorite side dishes to serve. If you typically don't like broccoli, then you should definitely try making sauteed broccoli rabe with garlic instead, because the flavor is a bit milder. This veggie takes on whatever flavor you add, so the garlic and olive oil truly shine through. Learn how easy it is to make broccoli rabe with garlic and oil.
If you have never heard of broccoli rabe before, don't be embarrassed. It is not as commonly known as your typical broccoli florets. Broccoli rabe is a staple on my dinner table. I think some people avoid it because either they don't know what it is or how to cook it. It is SO simple to prepare, so grab some from your grocery store and follow the directions below for my method of getting a perfectly cooked pile of broccoli rabe EVERY time.
How to Make Broccoli Rabe with Garlic and Oil?
Broccoli Rabe: You can't skip this crucial ingredient. Without it, you have nothing but a sauce. If you can't find broccoli rabe, you can use regular broccoli. It's equally as delicious too.
Olive Oil: I highly suggest using a high quality olive oil, like extra virgin olive oil. The olive oil flavor should really shine through, so don't use the light flavored kind.
Garlic: As I always suggest, fresh garlic is the way to go. If you have it, use it. If not, you can substitute with 3 teaspoons of garlic powder.
Red Pepper: This spice is optional, but it definitely gives it that extra kick of flavor to the recipe. I suggest adding it in.
What is Broccoli Rabe?
This hearty vegetable, also known as rapini, is closely related to the turnip [surprise!] It has tough stems and a bitter bitter flavor that mellows with cooking. It pairs VERY well with high-fat foods like sausage and cheese, because its bright and strong flavors can hold their own.
RECIPE KEY NUTRIENTS
Potassium | Calcium | Iron | Vitamin D
Sauteed Broccoli Rabe With Garlic Recipe
- Trim ends from broccoli rabe.
- Peel and slice garlic thinly.
- Add 4″ of water to a large sauce pot. Add broccoli rabe and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes until bright green and stems have softened a bit. Rinse in cold water and chop. Set aside.
- In a large sauté pan, add olive oil and garlic and simmer gently until fragrant. Add broccoli rabe and cook gently for an additional 2 minutes.
- Stir in red pepper if desired and season with salt and pepper.
Different Ways to Cook Broccoli Rabe
Below are a few favorites ways to make broccoli rabe. You might see a common theme with garlic and broccoli rabe. This is because they pair very well together to create a tasty dish.
- Garlic oil, salt, and crushed red pepper.
- White beans, garlic oil, lemon zest, parmesan, pepper.
- Whole-grain gluten-free pasta, sausage olive oil, white beans.
- Gluten-Free Bruschetta: Rosemary white bean spread, broccoli rabe, parmesan, crunchy gluten-free bread.
Will You Try Sauteed Broccoli Rabe With Garlic Today?
I am confident that you will love this broccoli rabe with garlic recipe so much, and your friends and family will too. Is is such a simple and tasty side dish that only takes a few minutes to prepare. Be sure to like and follow me for more recipes like this.
Let me know in the comment section below. In addition, I would also love to hear what you think, or take a photo and tag me @Eat_Your_Nutrition on Instagram. I love seeing your photos. #EatYourNutrition #LauraVillanueva